Saturday, April 5, 2014

Poem: Second Hand Smoke Kills

by Lorren

Second Hand Smoke Kills!! 

Cough!, Cough! 
All I see is smoke around 
Same thing happening everyday 
Each day the pain increases 
I can feel it,
I can tell it!
that this smoke is killing me 
Why me out of all people?
I'm not smoking they are 
I guess that's just how life is. 

Second hand smoke is just not right for kids 
Imagine that you are a nine-year old child 
That got lung cancer from second hand smoke 
This just hurts me 
Not just me, but others too

Before you pick up another cigarette 
Just stop and think
Is this worth hurting ones life? 
This is what worries me!  



“Healthy living starts with healthy choices. We know that carcinogens from second-hand smoke can cause cancer. We know that cancer kills. Let’s make the healthy choice . . . let’s work for (and in) a smoke-free environment.”
                                                   Fin Donnelly, athlete and Fraser River marathon swimmer


  I chose to write my poem about second hand smoke and how it effects children because I believe it is a huge problem. Second hand smoke can effect a child's future when it wasn't even their fault of getting this disease. "Approximately 26 percent of adults in the United States currently smoke cigarettes, and 50 to 60 percent of children under five live in homes with at least one adult smoker. The exposure of smoke decreases lung efficiency and impairs lung function in children of all ages. It increases both the frequency and severity of childhood asthma. It also increases both the number of ear infections a child will experience, and the duration of the illness." (American Academy of Otolaryngology- Head and Neck Surgery). For more information on second hand smoke please visit the website on Second hand smokeCenter for Disease Control, second hand smoke effects on children




No comments:

Post a Comment