Saturday, March 29, 2014

Poem: What is Sleep?

What is Sleep?
Sleep is peace
Sleep is that place you go to be
Free

Sleep is unattainable
At least for some people

What is sleep?
I don't know, so don't ask me

Sleep is the epitome
Of everything there is
To be

Sleep to me
Is a goal
It's a
State of mind
That I can never reach
Insomnia

According to Web MD
It's when you have trouble sleeping
At least three times a week

You're lucky
If you just have it
However, despite what the Dr. Internet says
You can be it

Insomnia
For those of us who only sleep
Maybe
Two nights a week

It's tiring, 
Exhausting, 
It
Complicates things
As in side effects
As in what they call fatigue or depression or
Other various mental disorders

Not something annoying
As in curable
But something serious something Permanent 
Like Schizophrenia

Because it can
I looked it up
On Wikipedia

In my everlasting 
Sleep

I am still awake

Recently, insomnia has been affecting me very severely, even to the point where I did not sleep (aside from dozing off for five to ten minutes) for eight days straight. I have been plagued by nightmares, anxiety, and exhaustion because of this strange disorder. Insomnia also causes fluctuations in my appetite so that I go from starving to not hungry at all in minutes. At the end of a sleepless stretch, most of the time I pass out and sleep, without dreaming, for hours on end. Insomnia has become a huge problem for me in my personal and educational life; causing me to fall asleep in class constantly and not being able to do anything with my friends because I am just too tired all of the time.


If you want to read more about Insomnia, check out this website: http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/condition/insomnia.


No comments:

Post a Comment